Help is responsible for assisting the truck driver in backing truck into loading and unloading position at Processing Center, New Goods Processing Center, Off Season Storage, Retail locations and business and home pickup sites. Helper is responsible for assisting truck driver in picking up donated items from homes, businesses and retail locations. Responsible for separating incoming goods and placement in assigned areas and departments at the Processing Center. The team transports and delivers shipments to assigned retail location on assigned store service days. They will provide assistance in furniture assembly and minor maintenance repairs while servicing retail locations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Home and business pickups: assists driver in pulling onto highway when Processing Center; watch for traffic both directions. Upon arrival at home or business for pickups, assist the driver in placing truck in proper loading positions – watch for oncoming traffic, overhangs, protruding tree limbs, etc. open rear door of truck, lower lift gate and assist the driver in carrying and loading donated items onto lift gate to be transported up onto truck. Help stage donated items and new merchandise by using quilts, securing straps, etc. to prevent movement or damage to goods in transportation to retail location. Use safety equipment provided for movement of donated items. Assists driver in re-entering highway, watch for overhangs, tree limbs, parked cars and oncoming traffic.
• Retail store shipments: assists driver in backing truck into loading dock at Processing Center and loading dock door at New Goods Processing Center. Open rear door, raise loading dock door, assist driver in properly loading shipment and supplies onto truck. Close rear door of truck and close loading dock door. Assist driver in pulling onto highway – both directions. Upon arriving at retail location, assist driver in parking truck and watch building/overhangs, parked cars and traffic. Open rear truck door and lower lift gate. Assist driver in unloading shipment and supplies and placing in assigned area in backroom of store. Assist driver in loading truck by diagram given (floor to ceiling) store returns, salvage, donations and recycling to be returned to Processing Center. Raise lift gate and close rear truck door. Assists driver in re-entering highway, watch for overhangs, tree limbs, parked cars and oncoming traffic.
• Warehousing: help with proper storage of excess textiles, proper storage of off season materials (stacks of 4 boxes high/neat and organized). Use space wisely to accommodate the amount of seasonal storage generated. Keep work area clean and orderly.
Standards for Measuring Performance
• The degree to which the above listed and other assigned duties are carried out in a prompt, thorough and acceptable manner.
• The manner in which the Truck Helper follows directions and responds to requests by the Truck Driver, Store Manager, New Goods Supervisor.
• The performance of Truck Helper in following the agencies basic transportation department guidelines.
See Transportation manual.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed are respective of the knowledge, skills and/or ability.
Education and/or Experience
• High school diploma preferred. GED accepted.
• Must have valid driver license (health card helpful).
• MUST have clean driving record.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
• Must have ability to read, write follow directions and keep accurate records. Truck helper must be able to
fill-in as driver in driver’s absence. MUST be polite, courteous and well-mannered and have acceptable
speech. Also, must report to work clean and neat in appearance.
On a daily basis, there will be heavy lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling and climbing in and out of truck cab and bed.
Employee will be carrying up and down stairs, hills, and driveways, etc. must have strong hands, arms legs and
back. Good health to tolerate indoor-outdoor weather changes. There will be physical work for 8 or more hours
per day. Employee MUST be able to lift 100 pounds or more. Cannot have any lifting, standing, sitting or climbing
• Hot in summer months.
• Normal lighting and production area conditions.
• Some dust and lint from incoming donated goods.
• Workspace limited by equipment and materials necessary for production.
• NOT to restrict movement; worker controls space and cleanliness.
• NO fire or safety hazards apparent.
• Aisle ways to be maintained at all times.