Individuals in our community occasionally receive an old email or social media post that contains false information about a number of nonprofits, including Goodwill. We know that you want your donations to be used wisely, so we’d like to provide you with correct information for responding to these rumors.
The email falsely claims a person named Mark Curran is the president and “owner” of Goodwill. Goodwill is a network of 180 world-wide autonomous non-profit charitable organizations governed by local volunteer Boards of Directors. Goodwill Industries International is an association office that supports the independent Goodwills and is headed by Jim Gibbons, who has been the CEO since 2008. Goodwill International is governed by a volunteer board composed primarily from local Goodwill membership, and as such does not have an “owner.” Furthermore, no one by the name Mark Curran has ever headed a Goodwill organization in the country.
We would like to address some of the other issues raised in promoting of false information. Please note the following facts about Goodwill Industries of Tenneva:
- Goodwill Industries of Tenneva is a registered, reputable 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- As a nonprofit, Goodwill is “owned” by the communities it serves and is governed by a board of directors made up of volunteers from throughout its 17-county service area.
- Donations to Goodwill support our mission of providing job training and career development services, particularly to individuals with disabilities or other barriers to employment.
- Goodwill served more than 1,000 individuals in 2014.
- More than 95% of Goodwill of Tenneva’s revenue supports its life-changing mission. Nationally, CharityWatch, an independent organization that evaluates philanthropic organizations, gives Goodwill an “A” rating – one of the highest in the country for a non-profit organization.
Goodwill Industries International has also issued a response to the email rumors. It can be found on their website at http://www.goodwill.org/?p=17257
At Goodwill Industries of Tenneva, we believe everyone should “think before you donate.” When you do, you may rest assured that your generous donations to Goodwill help individuals find meaningful employment, thereby building lives, families and communities one career at a time.